[BioPython] Patches to enable Doc building for source and rpm distributions

Bill Barnard bill at barnard-engineering.com
Tue Sep 27 02:31:34 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 17:04 -0700, Bill Barnard wrote:

I found a couple mistakes in my patches I mailed earlier. These patches
supersede the earlier ones.

> I found that generating the pdf & html doc files to be straightforward
> except for two things:
>
> 1) the hevea.sty file needs to be included in the distribution to allow
> the make to complete; that's simply added in the MANIFEST.in file.

I updated the Makefile to include generating text output, so I updated
MANIFEST.in to exclude Doc/Tutorial.txt (which was out of date relative
to Tutorial.tex.)

> 2) Generating html from biopdb_faq.tex has a minor failure (resulting in
> a missing image file referenced in the html) due to lack of bounding box
> information in the .tex file. Since the .tex file is exported (I assume)
> from the .lyx file, I thought the "problem" should be fixed there. I did
> not figure it out, and didn't want to learn too much more about LyX in
> order to do so. Instead I created a patch file for the .tex file that
> permits proper html generation by hevea. The patch is applied in the
> Makefile.

Additional testing revealed my first patch only worked for generating
html from biopdf_faq.tex, and broke pdf and text generation. I've fixed
that. (It's still a hack though...)

> The Makefile is actually entirely new. The old Makefile didn't have much
> in it, and was not very generic. The new one is a bit cleaner and more
> generic.

I made a couple mistakes in the Makefile. New html code was always
generated, even when unnecessary. Also it now invokes the clean target
when it completes, eliminating the need for one of the make calls in
setup.py.

> I'm attaching the two patch files to this email.

I've attached the two updated patches to this email. Please discard the
earlier email's patches.

Cheers,

Bill
--