[BioPython] SD/MDL file parser

Noel O'Boyle no228 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 09:27:58 EDT 2005

> If you have SD fields with repeats of the same key then
> there will be a problem, because the parser expects that
> the data can be stored in a dictionary.  OEChem has a
> dictionary-like data structure which also allows list-like
> iteration for this case.

> If I had the time (okay, and if someone was willing to pay
> for me to do this :) I would probably use something like my
> MultiDict class instead.

The whole frowns system is a bit overkill for simple manipulations of SD
fields. I am planning to cannabalise the mdl parser and writer of frowns
to make it more straightforward for myself. Thanks for the heads up
regarding multiple fields, though.

> Your email says you're in Cambridge, eh?  I'll be there
> in a couple of weeks for the EuroMUG conference, staying
> there for a week to also visit EBI and Sanger.
I'll probably see you there so, as I'll be attending.

Is it possible/worthwhile to write a parser using Martel? Or would you
say that there are too many non-standard sd files out there for a single
parser to have general applicability?

Regards,
Noel
--