[BioPython] cpairwise2module.c setup.py fun-ness

Syd Diamond syd.diamond at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 03:57:11 EDT 2005

Good Sunday Morning Biopythoners,

I'm not a hardcore bioinformatician per se, but in a project the need came
along to find database matches for strings with typos. I turned to
biopython, found the pairwise alignment function, and heuristically set the
parameters to find good alphanumeric matches. This is not the point of the
post, but I thought it was a cool application of biopython.

Anyways, the c alignment module is significantly (2-4X) faster than the
native python alignment module, and I was hoping to include this c module
(cpairwise2) in a very low-key GPL distribution. I put in the biopython
license file, and now I am trying to figure out a way to pare down the
setup.py file to allow the user to compile the module.

I'm in over my head here. My python hack0r sk1llz are intermediate, but my
gcc skills leave much to be desired. I have no idea where to begin.

In the biopython setup.py, I know cpairwise2 is simply one of the
extensions.

** How should I reduce setup.py to only compile the cpairwise2 module?? **

Many thanks, yall.