[BioPython] blast output file size limit

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Wed Jun 1 17:58:13 EDT 2005

On 1 Jun 2005, at 22:53, Lei Zhou wrote:

> Does anyone know whether there is a size (number) limit for the
> NCBIStandalone.BlastParser and NCBIStandalone.Iterator module?
>
> I have a program that works well with blast output files <100kb.
> however it quit with files of about 8Mb.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I've used both on very large files, I usually limit the number of
scores/alignments to around 200 so each individual record is not that
large even if the file is very large. On rarer occasions I've
returned 5-10,000 hits without major problems. I wouldn't expect it
to quit unless the machine ran out of memory somehow. I don't recall
seeing it use more than a few hundred megabytes of RAM.

Michael