[BioPython] Loading SwissProt to BioSQL?

Nathan Edwards nedwards at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jan 26 12:12:34 EST 2005

What is the current recommended solution for those wanting to load
SwissProt database files (uniprot_sprot.dat) to BioSQL via BioPython?

As far as I can tell, the situtation is this:

* The SwissProt .dat file parsers under Bio.SwissProt.SProt don't
produce SeqRecord objects required by BioSeqDatabase.load.

* The SwissProt .dat file parsers under FormatIO can't parse SwissProt
.dat files, period.

Does *anyone* have a working SwissProt .dat file to BioSQL solution
working in Python?

The most recent solution I see suggested:

http://biopython.org/pipermail/biopython/2004-May/002088.html

doesn't work as advertised: SProt.SequenceParser produces SeqRecord
objects with only minimal instantiation of SeqRecord fields (sequence
and accession) and BioSeqDatabase dies because it expects a field that
SequenceParser never instantiates; and FormatIO.readFile doesn't
recognize the uniprot_sprot.dat as any format it recognizes, and if
forced, with format='swissprot/38' or format='swissprot/40' it dies
while parsing.

Note: My entire BioPython, BioSQL, etc installation is new, pristine,
the latest update from CVS.

Thanks,

nathan

--
Nathan Edwards, Ph.D.
Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Email: nedwards at umiacs.umd.edu
WWWeb: http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~nedwards