[BioPython] build errors. "recompile with -fPIC" Biopython1.30 and CVS, Python2.3, SuSE 9.1, AMD64 . Solution Found

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Jan 20 23:23:37 EST 2005

Hi Metzidis,

Thanks for the patch. It seems though that removing the hacks completely would
break compilation under Python 2.2, which is still supported by Biopython. The
problem can be solved more easily by removing lines 201-202 in setup.py:

             elif build: # fix for 2.3, only if we are making C++ modules
                 self.compiler.compiler_so = self.compiler.compiler_cxx

Could you try and see if that fixes the compilation problem on your machine?

Compilation of KDTree is likely to be switched off by default in future versions
of biopython because of recurring compilation problems on various problems, but
it would be nice to fix setup.py as much as possible anyway for people who want
to use it.

--Michiel.