[BioPython] Biopython 1.40 beta released

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at burnham.org
Wed Feb 23 21:51:19 EST 2005

We are pleased to announce the release of  Biopython 1.40 beta. It has
been nine months since the last official release, and there are numerous
changes, bugfixes, enhancements, goodies and new contributors. Most
notable are the addition of the Nexus parser (Frank Kauff w/ Cymon Cox)
, the CAPS module (Jonathan Taylor), the Restriction enzyme package
(Frederic Sohm), hefty improvements to Bio.PDB (Thomas Hamelryck),
MutableSeq (Michiel de Hoon), and more. The delay in the release was
caused by day jobs creeping into the lives of most core developers. So
we are very happy with this release finally out, and we hope to have the
non-beta out soon.

Too many people to thank, so I'll mention only handful: Michiel and
Thomas, thanks for keeping tabs on things during the release process;
Jonathan and Frank, thanks for the new modules. Jeff Chang, thanks for
all the help and pointers in getting the release out, and for the
documentation you wrote for theat purpose. Thanks to all the developers
for making this happen, and apologies for not mentioning you all by name
and work. There are >170 members on the developers mailing list,  46
people in the CONTRIB file, and if you feel you should be there and
you're not, let me know. Finally, thanks to Jeff (again) Andrew and Brad
for making this project so robust that even putting me in charge did not
screw it up.

Peace,

Iddo

--