[BioPython] Patch to fix testing failures in biopython-1.30

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Feb 3 10:04:46 EST 2005

Thanks for your patch, Bill. The failed test_SVDSuperimposer may be due
to an incorrect compilation of the Lapack libraries on your computer.
For example, the default compilation of numerical python on Cygwin and
possibly Linux results in a broken Lapack, in which some linear algebra
functions hang forever. The SVD code in Biopython uses these functions,
so that may be the reason that the test didn't finish. You can try this
with:

 >>> from Numeric import *
 >>> from LinearAlgebra import eigenvalues
 >>> x = array([[1,2],[3,4]])
 >>> eigenvalues(x)

If eigenvalues doesn't return, Lapack is broken. I submitted a patch for
this bug to Numerical Python and numarray a while ago, but they have not
(yet) been included.

--Michiel.