[BioPython] Bug in GenBank module - record.feature method ?

Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 00:47:31 EST 2005

One problem (which might be somewhat troubling) with
gene2go
is that all the categories are written not mentioning
the category.

It would have been good if gene2go looked like this:

9606  2345 ISS go_process: glucose metabolism  1348503
9606  2345 ISS go_function: NADP transporter
9606  2345 ISS go_component: cytoplasm

The reason I tried to parse on my ways is to get each
GO annotation according to category. So that in
future, my enrichment analysis on GO categories could
be more meaningful.

However, I successfully parsed GenBank records for GO
categories.
my output looks like this now:

CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_component: nucleus
CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_function: hydrolase
activity
CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_function: RNA binding
CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_function: magnesium ion
binding
CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_function: exonuclease
activity
CNOT6   NM_015455.3     go_process: regulation of
transcription, DNA-dependent

I can now play more easily when the GO annotations are
in this format.

Thanks again for reminding me about gene2go