[BioPython] using a variable as input for restriction enzyme

Frederic Sohm frederic.sohm at iaf.cnrs-gif.fr
Mon Dec 12 07:13:38 EST 2005

Hi,

While the two precedent methods will work, I find simpler to use any of the
following :
 this one especially intended for this kind of problems :

>>> from Bio.Restriction import AllEnzymes
>>> rsite = 'EcoRI'
>>> AllEnzymes.get(rsite).elucidate()
'G^AATT_C'

If you use only commercial enzymes you can use :
>>> from Bio.Restriction import CommOnly
>>> rsite = 'EcoRI'
>>> CommOnly.get(rsite).elucidate()
G^AATT_C'

or
You can also evaluate the string :
>>> from Bio import Restriction
>>> rsite = 'EcoRI'
>>> eval('Restriction.'+rsite).elucidate()
'G^AATT_C'
Another way less talkative but which will put a lot of names in your
namespace :
>>> from Bio.Restriction import *
>>> rsite = 'EcoRI'
>>> eval(rsite).elucidate()
'G^AATT_C'

Hope this help.

Best regards

Fred
--
Frédéric Sohm
Equipe INRA U1126 "Morphogenèse du système nerveux des Chordés"