[BioPython] Vector NTI file import

Peter Wilkinson pwilkinson_m at xbioinformatics.org
Wed Aug 24 16:31:30 EDT 2005

Hi there,

   .... Since I used to work for the company who created Vector NTI.

The Vector NTI format is an adulteration of the Genbank format.

The format is simple: Genbank + additional data in COMMENT TAG.

Vector NTI stores up additional data associated with your sequence in
flat-files in the back end. In order to keep it in the 'Genbank' format, it
takes the additional data stored in Vector NTI and the stores name/value
pair combinations inside a Genank COMMENT tag when it exports a Genbank
format and some serialization information that is stored up in NTI (NTI
proprietary serialization format ...). You will immediately see how this
works if you export a Genbank file from Vector NTI. So if you had done some
annotations of some kind, or primers or whatever that is where you would
find them.

This was done in order to make sure an exported Vector NTI Genbank format
was compatible with other software that recognises the Genbank format,
whiles retaining information that was added within NTI.

For me, if you mess with the output formatting, its no longer officially a
Genbank format but a Vector NTI's format ... but that is a philosophical
debate.

Feel free to contact me, send my a sample output, I have not worked with
NTI for a while ... but it will all come back to me.

Peter