[BioPython] comparing short sequences against genome

Harry Mangalam hjm at tacgi.com
Fri Sep 24 14:02:38 EDT 2004

Not biopython per se, but I was just playing around with a short
script that does exactly this for oligos from length 2-10.  Currently
it emits xml for ggobi input, but it would be easy to reformat those
statements if you just wanted raw numeric output.

It's not a shift/add core so it's not particularly fast (~18s to
analyze 8 mers on 140K) and it doesn't deal with degenerate nucs and
it's clunky in a number of other ways as well, but you're welcome to
plink at it.  Because of the way it does bookkeeping, it's memory
limited.  # seqs x size of hash x # hits, so for large word sizes
(>10 or so, it's not well-suited).  You'd have to make up your own
linked-list-like storage for longer words, I think.

OT - I used Numeric.reshape to allocate elements, but afaik, this only
allows rectangular arrays.  Does python have an easy method for
reallocating memory like a ***array in C to handle sparse /
non-rectangular arrays?

anyway, email if interested.

hjm