[BioPython] PDB -> FASTA

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:14:47 EST 2004

Hi All-

I'm a beginner @ biopython (and I'm 'switching' from perl to python
...).  First off, many thanks for the structrual biopython FAQ ... very
helpful!  My question:  can anyone help me with some ideas on how to
whip up a quick PDB->FASTA (sequence) script?

 From the structural biopython faq, I've been able to extract residue
information in the form of:

  <Residue MET het=  resseq=1 icode= >

I take it I would just need to grab the MET (split the residue object
and grab the r[1] index?) and convert into M, then append to a sequence
string ....

but I didn't know if biopython had something that did an autoconversion
of MET->M, or vice versa (M->MET).

Thanks for the input,
Doug