[BioPython] Lowess function for nonparametric regression

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu May 6 12:11:21 EDT 2004

Hi Michiel;

> I had a look at the other modules under Bio. There are a couple of
> supervised learning routines there, but they wouldn't fit well as part of a
> Bio.Statistics module.

Right, supervised learning stuff mostly -- you're right, my fault.

> However, there are a couple of other
> statistics-related routines that would be nice to have in Biopython (e.g.
> routines to estimate probability density functions or alternative
> non-parametric regression models). So I would argue for a Bio.Statistics
> module containing the Lowess function for now and hopefully other routines
> later, but keep the existing modules under Bio where they are.

This sounds great to me. I just wanted to avoid having 18 different
modules under Bio doing different statistical work, and also desired
to make statistics code easy to find. So yeah, +1 from me on adding
a Bio.Statistics module with the Lowess function. Go right on ahead
and commit away.

Thanks!
Brad