[BioPython] Questions & suggestions

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Mar 22 22:59:20 EST 2004

Jeffrey Chang wrote:
> kNN, LogisticRegression, MaxEntropy, and NaiveBayes are still useful, but
> need more documentation.  Also, another idea is that they could be donated to
> the pyml project.  Currently, no code in Biopython depends on them.  However,
> they might be useful for a microarray package, in which case donating them
> would introduce another dependency.

Biopython and pyml are likely to have different goals for these routines. In
particular a routine as kNN is quite useful for microarray data analysis, and I
expect that the routine will get updated over time to be better suited for
biological (microarray or other) data analysis. So I would suggest to keep these
routines in Biopython and to continue working on them. We can still donate these
routines to pyml also, but I would expect that e.g. the Biopython-kNN and the
pyml-kNN will diverge over time to be most suited for each package's requirements.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science