[BioPython] Questions & suggestions

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey_chang at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Mar 22 21:56:15 EST 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Brad Chapman wrote:

[Jeff]
>> kNN, LogisticRegression, MaxEntropy, and NaiveBayes are still useful,
>> but need more documentation.  Also, another idea is that they could be
>> donated to the pyml project.  Currently, no code in Biopython depends
>> on them.  However, they might be useful for a microarray package, in
>> which case donating them would introduce another dependency.
>
> Ah, I didn't know about PyML. It does seem like it would be useful
> to try and coordinate with their project -- do you happen to know the
> author (Stanford connections and all)? Other candidates for donation
> are the recently discussed GA and Neural Network packages.

Yes, I've talked to Asa about merging this machine learning code into
pyml, and he seemed open to the idea.  However, it looked like it would
be a bit of work to port things over to the pyml style of doing things.
  OTOH, it's still a bit of work getting the code documented up to the
point where it is generally useful...

Jeff