[BioPython] Could BioPython transfer GenBank file to Fasta file like BioPerl?

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Wed Mar 17 20:00:29 EST 2004

Hi Long;

> I have a GenBank file, and want to transfer it to
> Fasta file.  Of course, I can use FeatureParser to get
> the "sequence", "id", "description" ..., then write to
> a file.
>
> I want to know if there is a simple command or a
> module to do that?  In Perl/BioPerl, it is very simple
> to transfer files between kinds of file format.

We do have a FormatIO system under development which is meant to act
much like the BioPerl SeqIO system and make simple format
conversions much easier.

I wrote up some cookbook style documentation for the system (and for
the "by hand" system) you describe above. You can get them from the
documentation page:

http://biopython.org/documentation/

under "Cookbook-style documentation" and "Converting GenBank (and
other formats) to Fasta."

Hopefully this is helpful -- please let me know if there are any
questions or I can improve the docs. Thanks!
Brad