[BioPython] BLAST/tutorial problems

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey_chang at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Jul 22 20:35:48 EDT 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Aaron Zschau wrote:

> I recently started having my program hang during the part that does
> BLAST queries.

Yes, NCBI has recently changed their BLAST server, and broke the
Biopython code.  It has been fixed now in the CVS version, which you
can retrieve at:
http://cvs.biopython.org/

Please grab the latest NCBIWWW.py file from there, and save it over the
older version.

The major change in this version is that this blast code has been
deprecated in favor of the NCBI QBlast API, which should be more
stable.  Thus, after you install the new file, change the NCBIWWW.blast
call to NCBIWWW.qblast in your code.

Jeff