[BioPython] MySQLdb for Mac OS X

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu Jan 15 19:42:08 EST 2004

Hi Jose;

> hi I'm trying to instal MYSQLdb in mac os X
> I have followed this instrutions for mac os x
[...]
> # include files and library locations should cover most platforms
> include_dirs = [
>      '/usr/include/mysql',
>      '/usr/local/include/mysql',
>      '/usr/local/mysql/include',  # added by RO for MacOS X
>      '/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql' # is this real? it looks suspicious
[...]
> but I still get an error the error is like this
> can anyone help me
[...]
> _mysql.c:41:19: mysql.h: No such file or directory
> _mysql.c:42:26: mysqld_error.h: No such file or directory
> _mysql.c:43:20: errmsg.h: No such file or directory

>From these error lines it looks to me like the problem is that the
MySQL client header files are either not installed or not found in
the include directories.

Are the header files installed? I'm not sure how you are installing
these (fink?, by hand?), but with some packaging systems the
development libraries have to be installed separately to get the
header files.

If they are installed, you just need to find where mysql.h is
located and put it into the "include_dirs" variable you mention
above. So if mysql.h is in "/usr/local/mysql" you would just need to
add this to the current list -- having more include dirs doesn't
hurt anything.

Hopefully this helps!
Brad