[BioPython] Updates to CVS -- please do test

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Sun Feb 29 17:31:43 EST 2004

Hello everyone;
I wanted to write a quick mail because I made a number of changes to
CVS. Specifically, I did some work on the GenBank parser and then
checked in the new Martel-based Fasta parser I wrote about last
week. Since I know these are some of the more widely used modules in
Biopython, this might make the CVS a little more unstable (well,
potentially having more bugs) than normal.

I'd appreciate it if interested people would check it out and give
the new modules and changes a spin. If we can catch and squish bugs
now, then it'll help make the next release smooth as normal.

For the curious, here are the major changes:

-> Checked in the Fasta parser using Martel. The gruesome details
were described here:

http://portal.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2004-February/001877.html

-> Updated the GenBank parser, specifically the Martel GenBank
format. This involved several things:
  * Removing the restricted list of names of feature and qualifier
    keys. We now use more general regular expressions. Hopefully
    this will make life easier for developers and users.
  * Adding useful bits of code from the redundant
    Bio/expressions/genbank.py, which is Andrew's take on the
    GenBank parsing problem.
  * Moved Bio/GenBank/genbank_format.py to
    Bio/expressions/genbank.py to keep the Martel formats together.

-> Misc fixes to GenBank/__init__.py to make the new changes work.

Thanks in advance for testing and reporting bugs!
Brad