[BioPython] BioSQL fixed plus other work towards a release

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu Feb 12 19:50:17 EST 2004

Hello all;
I've been taking some time over the past couple of days to get some
work done on Biopython, as I'm thinking about trying to roll a
release either this weekend or earlyish next week. New release go.
Towards doing this I've done a bit of work in CVS:

-> BioSQL finally works again. Yay. Thanks to patches from Yves
Bastide and some messing around on my part with what was left,
Biopython now seems to work just fine with the current BioSQL
schema. It works for me with both MySQL (4.0.17) and PostgreSQL
(7.4.1) and all tests pass. I'd appreciate it if people who are
interested in BioSQL take it for a spin and make sure everyone works
for them.

-> I've been trying to hit on the bug database and get some things
cleaned up. Towards this goal I've checked in some patches, killed
some bugs which were already fixed, and also updated all the
Iterator classes to be Python 2.2 compatible so that you should be
able to do:

for rec in iter(your_iterator):
   do_something_with(rec)

instead of:

while 1:
    rec = your_iterator.next()
    if not rec:
        break
    do_something_with(rec)

The old way should work as well, but people should be able to start
migrating code over to the new semantics as it's a lot prettier.

-> All tests now pass for me, except for skipping the GFF and Wise
tests since I don't have the right things installed.

So...how does everyone feel about a release within the next week?
Any objections? Any code or fixes that people want to get in before
the release?

If anyone has time I'd appreciate the normal testing on the code
plus a look at the bug database to see if there's anything that you
could fix or trash before the release.

New-release-of-Biopython-woo-woo-woo-ly yr's,
Brad