Numeric + Lapack/Blas/ATLAS [Re: [BioPython] Installation help]

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Mon Dec 20 11:30:55 EST 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Brad Chapman wrote:

> Hi Jim;
> [Condensing both answers into a single mail]
>
>> I'm pulling together the dependencies for biopython
>> and need to know whether I should download "numeric"
>> or "numarray".
>
> Numeric. Although Numarray is supposed to be API compatible to some
> extent with Numeric, I don't believe that anyone has fully tested
> that out. Numeric should work for now -- at some point in the future
> someone will likely go through and ensure everything works and we'll
> move on to Numarray.

Hi,

Has someone succesfully installed Numeric on MacOSX/PPC/G4? I have some
problems while installing this package, because it needs another
package (Lapack):

% python setup.py install
[...]
building 'lapack_lite' extension
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
-mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/include/atlas -IInclude
-IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
-I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
-c Src/lapack_litemodule.c -o
build/temp.darwin-7.6.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/Src/lapack_litemodule.o
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/lib/atlas) does not exist
ld: can't locate file for: -llapack

So, I have tried to install Lapack+Blas
(http://www.netlib.org/lapack/), and also ATLAS (an alternative to
install Lapack+Blas)  but I got many errors. Has someone already
installed it on MacOSX, for:
	- either Atlas does not compile
	- Lapack needs BLAS (http://www.netlib.org/blas/), which is provided
without any Makefile!