[BioPython] ClustalwAlignment Object

Martina boehme at mpiib-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Dec 17 05:16:58 EST 2004

Hi,

When aligning 2 sequences with clustalw you get a ClustalAlignment
Object. Because I'm aligning a long one with a shorter sequence, I'm
only interested in the matching region. Are there any methods to get
the postion of the first and last match and then do something like:
ClustalAlignment.get_part_of_alignment(start_postion, end_postion)?
Of course I could parse the *.aln files, but is there a simpler
solution? I'm aware of AlignInfo - but that seems to be only more
sophisticated stuff.
I'm new to Python, so I might miss some basics here.

Thanks.
Martina