[BioPython] Some Biopython news, plans, and grants

Peter Wilkinson pwilkinson at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 3 13:16:38 EDT 2004

I certainly would be interested in the documentation project, if you can
find funding. I do like working on tutorials and documentation
'solutions'... my own personal war on bad and thin documentation. Please
add me to a list, and let me know what the time commitments would be.

With regards to numarray, i will be exploring this module for the use in
microarray analysis as I need some structures (I think) that would be
useful in  vectorising calculations. I am working on  some code that is
structured after the RGlist and MAlist objects you find in Bioconductor's
limma package. I am doing some large scale micrarra analysis (in the
hundreds of arrays per project), and I find that R is not the tool for
batch work, but it is a good tool for statistical analysis. Python + rpy or
RSpython might = batch work. I am still exploring. It might turn out better
to implement some new normalization algorithms directly in Python or in
C++. R has memory management problems, and it is built for you to load all
the data you want to work with at once ... this is limits batch processing.

I am hoping numarray can help.

Peter