[BioPython] Entrez module

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Tue Aug 3 12:24:35 EDT 2004

Hi Peter;

> >I suddenly had an urge to query entrez with python ....
> >
> >I have looked through the latest release ... but did not find an entrez
> >module
[...]
> I just found the interface in Bio.WWW

The best way to query Entrez from programs is using the EUtils
interfaces at NCBI:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/esearch_help.html

Biopython has a interface to EUtils in Bio.EUtils. There is a lot of
source code documentation within there. For instance, for an example
of retrieving PubMed information, Bio.EUtils.HistoryClient provides
some good code examples:

http://www.biopython.org/docs/api/public/Bio.EUtils.HistoryClient-module.html

The only thing you have to do is adjust the imports to be from
Biopython, like from Bio.EUtils import HistoryClient (sorry, older
documentation from when EUtils was not within Biopython -- I updated
this).

If you have specific questions feel free to ask, but the EUtils
interfaces should definitely be more stable than the older stuff in
Bio.WWW.

Hope this helps!
Brad