[BioPython] BOSC

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu Apr 8 17:27:48 EDT 2004

Hey all;

Andrew:
>   Just a reminder -- only a bit over a week to submit a talk
> proposal for BOSC.  In addition to the talks there will also
> be lightning talks (5-7 minutes max) and a demo session for
> showing off your software to others in a small group rather
> than to everyone at once.

Thanks for the reminder. I'd definitely like to encourage people to
give Python/Biopython related talks. If you wrote (or are nearly
done writing :-) a module for Biopython the lightning talks are a
great chance to show it off.

We'd also like to try and get an official Biopython talk (a longer
talk with extensive examples of Biopython and it's usage) as BOSC is
a great chance to let people know about the kind of things Biopython
does well.

I'd like to offer up the talk to any of the regular contributors to
Biopython. Although I'm now the "official" coordinator, I've also
given the talk the past two years and would like to have a fresh
perspective on it from someone. Additionally, BOSC falls right after
graduation deadlines for me this year so I will be quite busy.

Is anyone interested? Basically, it would involve writing up an
abstract by the deadline (May 5th, from the BOSC website:
http://open-bio.org/bosc2004/) and then getting together the talk.
There are several sample talks on the Biopython documentation page
to give an idea of what they are like:

http://www.biopython.org/documentation/

Well, that's my plea for good Biopython representation at the BOSC
conference this year. Pretty persuasive, eh?

Brad