[BioPython] Installation help

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Tue Apr 6 18:39:02 EDT 2004

Hi Jim;
[Condensing both answers into a single mail]

> I'm pulling together the dependencies for biopython
> and need to know whether I should download "numeric"
> or "numarray".

Numeric. Although Numarray is supposed to be API compatible to some
extent with Numeric, I don't believe that anyone has fully tested
that out. Numeric should work for now -- at some point in the future
someone will likely go through and ensure everything works and we'll
move on to Numarray.

> I've completed the installation of the biopython
> dependencies and would like to run the rigorous tests
> mentioned in the documentation.  However, I don't see
> a "Tests" directory in the installation.  What do I
> need to do to run the tests?

If you've installed it from source, then inside the biopython-1.24
directory there should be a Tests directory. You can either change
to the Tests directory and do python run_tests.py (add --no-gui if
you don't want a Tk GUI) or just do python setup.py test from the
main installation directory.

If you are on Windows and installed using a Windows installer, you
need to download the source and unpack it to find the Tests.

Hope this helps.
Brad