[BioPython] help for searching overlapping occurrences

Harry Mangalam hjm at tacgi.com
Thu Oct 23 12:26:33 EDT 2003

I thought you were looking for a Python lib, so I didn't respond.

If interested, you're welcome to a newer version.  It depends on what kind of
thing you're looking for.  If a Python module for doing this, then no. If very
long patterns, probably not - tacg only supports ~50 bp patterns as supplied
(altho you could recompile to extend this arbitrarily I guess). If you're
looking for a standalone app to do it, yes.

<advertisement>
It supports IUPAC patterns, regexes, TRANSFAC matrices, and rules (logical
combinations of the previous patterns as in (pattern_A AND pattern_B AND
pattern_C) NOT ((Pattern_D AND pattern_E) XOR (pattern_F OR patternG)) in a
sliding window of XX bases (useful for finding things like SARS/MARS)

Both strands at the same time, auto sequence conversion on input, no limit to
sequence length, 30-50x faster than the GCG equivs, 100x more memory efficient
than the EMBOSS equivs, (but overall less functionality - only nucleic acid
searches supported currently)
</advertisement>

--
Cheers, Harry