[BioPython] New biopython.org website

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Wed May 21 18:29:02 EDT 2003

Hey all;
Thanks to everyone for comments on the website. I'll try to respond
to all the concerns in one mail here -- let me know if I miss anything.

[We need a logo]
I agree completely and damn, am I impressed with the quality of the
logos coming in. I'm glad there are so many artistically talented
folks out there. Once we choose a logo (are we having a contest?
Woo.) I'll be more than happy to get it up.

[Everyone misses ScriptCentral]
I left ScriptCentral out of the first website just so I could get it
finished and have something that works and has basic content. I also
liked ScriptCentral and think that Jeff's idea of making it
interactively editable like the Participants page is a good one.
I'll try to get this set up as soon as I'm done with exams and
recovered (okay, when I stop drinking after my exams are over :-).

[The Participants editable page is insecure]
The danger with having editable pages and passwords that people
could get out of mailing lists is that annoying webfiends with too
much time on their hands could ruin things. On the other hand, the
nice thing about the interactive pages and having the password
available is that it encourages people to contribute and lower
barriers.

I was thinking about a solution that be more safe from getting
messed up and still be interactive and the thing I think I'm going
to implement is saving backups of the page. I found a class to make
versioned backups on the ActiveState Python Cookbook and think I'll
implement something based on this. Having backups should make it
really hard for something to do a lot of damage we can't undo.
Hopefully this'll satisfy these concerns. I'll try to get that done
as soon as I can as well.

Glad the pages seem to be going over well and I'm especially happy
with all the logos. Damn, ya'll are seriously talented.

As-long-as-I-don't-have-to-draw-anything-ly yr's,
Brad