[BioPython] New biopython.org website

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Sun May 11 16:52:18 EDT 2003

Hello everyone;
I'm happy to announce that we've gotten a brand spanking new
biopython.org website up and running. The site is now hosted on a
nice up-to-date Linux machine that Chris Dagdigian was hard-working
enough to set up. Eventually all of the Bio* projects will be moving
over there, but your good buddies at the Biopython project were the
first to make the jump. Go Python, go.

The new website has a number of advantages over the old website. It
dynamically links to the standard open-bio news page using XML-RPC
and other cool buzzwords so that our news will stay up to date when
news is posted there. It is also substantially smaller then the
old site and will hopefully allow us to keep things more up to date.
We're striving to keep the site useful and up-to-date as possible
with a minimum amount of work.

So, we've been working hard and we'd like to ask ya'll to do us a
few favors in return. Nothing too strenuous, don't you worry:

=> Check out the new website at http://www.biopython.org/. Click
around, make sure everything works and seems nice. Give us feedback,
positive or negative, on the site and contents.

=> Head to the participants page at
http://www.biopython.org/biopython/participants/ and add yourself to
the list. The advantage of our new web setup is that we can have
dynamically editable pages like this. The password for adding and
changing things is:

Name: biopython
Password: user

We just want a minimum of security to prevent annoying people with
nothing to do from wrecking things. So, please add yourself to the
list of participants and tell us about yourself.

=> Check out the main open-bio news site at
http://news.open-bio.org/. We'd like to encourage people to ask for
a login name and password (Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> is the
man to contact for this) and submit Biopython news items. This
doesn't have to be groundbreaking the-world-must-stop-now type news;
letting us know when you've submitted new modules or fixed bugs or
used Biopython in a talk or anything of the sort is exactly what we
want.

Hope everyone enjoys the new website!

Increasing-our-web-presence-towards-world-domination-ly yr's,
Brad