[BioPython] 1.21 installation difficulty

Jan T. Kim kim at inb.uni-luebeck.de
Wed Jul 30 05:47:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:38:56PM +0900, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:

> On Unix, I get the following warning:
>
> *** Martel *** is either not installed or out of date.
>
> This package is required for many Biopython features.  Please install
> it before you install Biopython.
> You can find Martel at http://www.biopython.org/~dalke/Martel/.
>
> Isn't Martel included with Biopython? Btw, the link is dead.

Incidentally, I saw the same message yesterday night, when I installed
Biopython 1.21 on my Linux box at home on which no previous Biopython
installation existed. I just went ahead, by answering "y" to the question
that appeared, just to see what's going to happen, and everything
worked out fine. Upon installing a second time, the message did not
appear anymore.

Recently, there were messages on this list indicating that Martel was
not included in Biopython 1.20, and that this has been repaired in 1.21.
I've looked around in the setup.py script a bit, and it seems to me that
the tuple

    ("Martel", is_Martel_installed, 1,
     "http://www.biopython.org/~dalke/Martel/")

(line 81) is probably not needed anymore in the dependencies list --
there is no need to complain about outdated or missing Martel installations
as the bundled one can be installed anyway:

    if not is_Martel_installed():
        self.packages.append("Martel")

(line 140).

Greetinx, Jan