[BioPython] 1.21 installation difficulty

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Tue Jul 29 13:52:36 EDT 2003

Hi Leighton;

> I'm coming across problems building BIopython 1.21 on my XP machine at my
> new job. Unfortunately, copies of Visual Studio are harder to come by here
> than at the university, so I don't have a copy of cl.exe - the build fails
> at Bio.cSVM with "command 'cl.exe' failed: No such file or directory" :(

You should be able to build everything with the free Borland
compiler. I put directions, as far as I know them (as I'm no Windows
expert) in the install documentation:

http://www.biopython.org/docs/install/Installation.html#htoc27

> Are there plans for a Windows installer version?

I am definitely planning on making one. My access to Windows
computers that I have admin permissions on sucks right now, but I
hope to have one made over the next couple of days. If you beat me
to making it, the instructions for making Windows installers are
here:

http://www.biopython.org/docs/tutorial/Tutorial006.html#toc26

Someone who uses Windows regularly who wants to make and maintain
the windows installer would be great (hint, hint :-).

Brad