[BioPython] biophysical properties of proteins

Andrew ajperry at alphalink.com.au
Sun Feb 2 16:29:43 EST 2003

I've written a piece of code for parsing the AAindex database, which has
tons of published amino acid indices and a cluster analysis of them.

The current version of my code is at:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~a.j.perry/code/AAIndex.py

The aaindex file it reads is at:
ftp://ftp.genome.ad.jp/pub/db/genomenet/aaindex/aaindex1
(see http://www.genome.ad.jp/dbget/aaindex.html for details)

The code is a bit long to post here (and messy + embarrasing +
unfinished etc), but if you are using amino acid indicies, I think its
pretty useful. There is a usage example at the top which could be nicely
integrated with Iddo's example.

It would be cool to be able to include this into biopython, but I think
it would be simplest if the aaindex1 file could be distributed with
biopython so it can work 'out-of-the-box' (it is 418 k) . . . whats the
best way to go about this ??

Andrew Perry
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
University of Melbourne