[BioPython] Advice on installing python2.3 on Mac

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu Dec 18 09:10:34 EST 2003

Hi Andy;

> I need to re-install python on my mac 10.2.8
>
> Should I install the mac-python binary?  Will this give me access to the
> gui/graphics on the mac(Tk,wx etc...) ?
> I can try to use fink and install it as well or just try to do it by hand

I have limited experience on Macs  -- just last year at the Singapore
Hackathon (advertisement for Apple Singapore provided free of
charge :-) -- but I found fink to be very easy to use for
installation and maintenance of applications and libraries. That
would be my recommended route.

I'm not sure if python comes by default with Tkinter working, but
wx will definitely have to be installed separately.

Hope this helps a bit -- someone with some more Mac experience may be
able to provide more knowledgeable info.

Brad