[BioPython] Help with installing MySQLdb

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Thu Aug 21 13:44:21 EDT 2003

Hey Andy;

> well that was done after downloading the source code from the website
> and installing it on the machine...

Well, then. Okay. You gotta be a little more verbose here, baby,
help me out, now :-).

I dug around in the mx extension and it looks like your error is
coming from the mx extensions themselves. The "*** You don't have the
(right) mxDateTime binaries installed !" message is actually in
/DateTime/mxDateTime/__init__.py.

So I have four guesses:

1. You didn't install the thing properly. -- how exactly did
you install it? python setup.py build and python setup.py install?
If you don't build the C extensions parts of the module (and just
import the directory) I can get the following error:

>>> from mx import DateTime
*** You don't have the (right) mxDateTime binaries installed !
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "mx/DateTime/__init__.py", line 8, in ?
    from DateTime import *
  File "DateTime.py", line 9, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py",
line 13, in ?

ImportError: No module named mxDateTime

This seems close to what you've got.

2. You are importing it from a local (non-compiled) directory when
you mean to import it from the installed (compiled) directory. Does
DateTime.__file__ give you the expected file (from a compiled
directory)?

3. This is just guessing, but if I remember back the old versions of
mxDateTime installed into a top level mxDateTime directory (instead
of the current mx/DateTime). If you have these around (in
site-packages or whereever) you could delete them and install fresh.

4. Your python installed is seriously messed up. In this case I
can't help you out. Get a python dude 'round by you to check it out.
You can get some seriously weird errors when things are totally
jacked.

> I havent used any of the rpm's yet

If the problem is the installation one above, why not try the RPMs?
I have no idea how you are administering the machine, but if the
RPMs install cleanly it seems as if you can't go wrong with an
already compiled package.

Brad