[BioPython] NCBI: from protein to CDS

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Apr 11 12:49:44 EDT 2003

Iddo:
> I must confess I completely forgot about the existence of EUtils. I'm
> pretty much taking my baby steps in getting stuff off the Web in
> general, and NCBI in particular. The NCBI eutil documentation is a bit
> lacking, so this bit of code is actually a very good
> learning-by-example Biopython+EUtils combo.

A *bit* lacking?  That's an understatement.

I hadn't used EUtils since I announced the release.  I started to work
on
your email and ended up having to look at the code to figure out what
to do, rather than figure things out from NCBI's docs.

Which means I need to work on EUtils documentation some more too.
Anyone want to pay me to work on that?  :)

Also, it look a lot of searching to figure out that I can pass in the
accession.version to their eutils server to get the record back.  The
docs imply that only the gi should work.  But it actually can figure
out the identifier type.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com