[BioPython] NCBI: from protein to CDS

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at burnham.org
Thu Apr 10 18:02:50 EDT 2003

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a painless way to retrieve a coding sequence using a
protein gi number via NCBI? manually that would mean to:

1) go to the protein page using the protein gi.
2) Click on the CDS
3) Get the DNA sequence coding to it.

Here why this is a bummer:

Using the gi-10956247 a protein record is retrieved from NCBI. The URL
for the CDS looks like :

"http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?val=10956247&itemID=98&view=gbwithparts"

the "val" field holds the same gi number, but the itemID field varies
(that depends on the coding location in the full genome record, in this
case). So I cannot use the protein gi to go and retrieve its coding
sequence.

I *can* write something to read the URL itemID field value, I just
thought there might be a more elegant way. Maybe even using "legitimate"
NCBI mechanisms...

Thanks,

Iddo

--