[BioPython] Scientific plotting with python: Pygist for Windows

Rune Linding - EMBL Biocomputing Unit linding@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:50:26 +0100

dislin is nice for cgi stuff ...i guess that dosent fit your purpose :)

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:42:12PM +0900, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
> Yes I know, I even used DISLIN for a while. What I liked better about
> Pygist is that it is interactive. So after you open a window, you get
> your python prompt back and you can continue entering python commands,
> including commands to modify the plot you are working on. The last time
> I tried DISLIN, once you open a graphics window you don't get the Python
> prompt back, and you're rather stuck. But tastes differ, I guess, so to
> each his own.
>
> --Michiel.
>
> Rune Linding - EMBL Biocomputing Unit wrote:
>
> >DISLIN is a great package w. python API
> >
> >google: DISLIN
> >
> >:)
> >r.
> >On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 03:15:43PM +0900, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Dear fellow bio-pythoneers,
> >>
> >>A while ago I posted to this mailing list about scientific plotting with
> >>Python. I am working on numerical analysis of gene expression data, and
> >>it would be nice to be able to make a plot once in a while.
> >>
> >>I had some trouble finding a plotting package for Python on Windows that
> >>was as good as Pygist, which is a graphics package that I used before
> >>when I was running python on Linux/Unix. We have now succeeded in porting
> >>Pygist to Windows. Some screen shots, an installer for Windows, and the
> >>source distribution for Cygwin, are available from
> >>http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/software.html
> >><http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/%7Emdehoon/software/software.html>.
> >>
> >>I hope this will be useful to you.
> >>Please let me know if you have any difficulties running Pygist on Windows
> >>or Cygwin, or if there are any features that you would like to see it.
> >>
> >>--Michiel
> >>
> >>--
> >>Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
> >>University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science
> >>Human Genome Center
> >>4-6-1 Shirokane-dai, Minato-ku
> >>Tokyo 108-8639
> >>Japan
> >>http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon

> >--
> >Rune Linding				room	v101
> >EMBL - Biocomputing - Gibson Team	lab	+49 6221 387451
> >Meyerhofstrasse 1			fax	+49 6221 387517
> >D-69117 Heidelberg			cell	+49 1712 128951
> >Germany
> >http://www.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/~linding
> >In 1880 the French captured Detroit but gave it back ... they couldn't
> >get parts.
> >

> --
> Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
> University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science
> Human Genome Center
> 4-6-1 Shirokane-dai, Minato-ku
> Tokyo 108-8639
> Japan
> http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon

--
Rune Linding				room	v101
EMBL - Biocomputing - Gibson Team	lab	+49 6221 387451
Meyerhofstrasse 1			fax	+49 6221 387517
> [...]
Sex without love is an empty experience, but, as empty experiences go,
it's one of the best.
		-- Woody Allen