[BioPython] installing biopython under cygwin

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:12:46 -0500

Hi Daniel;

> I'm trying to install the latest biopython in cvs
> under cygwin. But the python setup.py build command
> fails during the process when it tries to execute
> "cl.exe" and cannot find that command. Is there a way
> I can install biopython under cygwin?

cl.exe is the Borland C++ compiler I believe. In the simplest case you
should just need to specify:

python setup.py build --compiler=cygwin

or

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32

(not sure what the difference is, but one might work :-) As you can
probably tell, I haven't actually done this myself (only built with
Borland on Windows) but there is some info about it here:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/inst/non-ms-compilers.html

that might be helpful to you. Everything that works for distutils should
work for biopython.

Hope this helps.
Brad