[BioPython] problem with Blast/NCBIWWW parser ?

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 29 May 2002 08:40:53 -0400

Hi Iddo;

> Just wondering: are all these updates to (PSI) BLAST also back compatible
> with older versions? I am talking about standalone, not web versions.  It
> strikes me that not everyone has the latest-and-greatest standalone from
> NCBI. Also, some people might not wish to use the latest version, for
> purposes of research method standardization over time.

No worries here -- the way Jeff wrote the BLAST parser you can add
support for changes in the format and still support older BLAST outputs.
We have that huge directory full of older BLAST files, and when you fix
things they need to work against these old versions to keep the tests
and everyone out there with older BLASTs happy.

So, we're all about back compatibility :-)

Brad
--
PGP public key available from http://pgp.mit.edu/