[BioPython] BioSQL.DBSeqRecord._get_keywords() / working with BioSQL

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 28 May 2002 10:43:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> thanks for your help, i think i will continue whith the test-examples.
>
> What is your opinion, is biopython better then biojava or bioperl?
> Java would be as find as Python for me, Perl i don't speak and have no
> intent to learn.

The Bio* projects all have various focuses but roughly cover the same area
- Sequences, reports, databases, features, etc.  It is probably easiest if
you start using and solving problems with the language you are most
comfortable with and is appropriate for the problem at hand.  Our hope is
that the bio* toolkits will be all be rich enough and can do roughly
equivalent things so that you won't have to choose to use a lang you
aren't comfortable with.

> Do you think, drawing an ER-diagram for the biosql-schema would be of
> benefit?

BioSQL is a cross language project and there is an ER diagram already - if
you are interested in the project join the open-bio-l@open-bio.org list
(see http://obda.open-bio.org).

Checkout the biosql-schema repository and look at doc/biosql-ERD.pdf for
the diagram.

Hopefully someone will volunteer to help put the website together and make
these types of links and info easily accessible through the website.  This
is definitely somethings we need help with but is not as sexy as
programming I know.  We hope to roll out a new content management system
in the future to make this easier.