[BioPython] PDBParser & Structure class

Thomas Hamelryck thamelry@vub.ac.be
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:24:35 +0200

[Jeffrey Chang wrote about the PDB package license:]

> The functionality is within the domain of Biopython.  However, all the
> code in Biopython is under the Biopython license, which is BSD-like.
> I'm afraid we can't allow different licenses for different parts of
> the code.
>
> Generally, the conditions for submitting code are:
> - It must be generalizable.
> - You must be the owner and copyright holder of the code with the
> legal authority to redistribute and license as you see fit.
> - You must be willing to maintain it.
> - The code will be licensed under the Biopython license.
>
> Are you be willing and able to relicense it?

Yes, I am willing (and able) to relicense it, if it is to be included
in Biopython. LGPL was sufficient for my needs, but I can appreciate the
need for a BSD-like (and consistent) license.

I put a new version on my homepage (the license hasn't been changed yet - is
this simply a matter of adding the Biopython license text?). It contains lots
of small improvements and does better exception handling. Next thing I want
to tackle is neighbor lookup.

Cheers,

---
Thomas Hamelryck      Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
Intitute for Molecular Biology            ULTR Department
Paardenstraat 65    1640 Sint-Gensius-Rode, Belgium
                http://ultr.vub.ac.be/~thomas