[BioPython] GenBank.search_for

Josh Wilcox Joshua.Wilcox@Colorado.EDU
Mon, 20 May 2002 14:44:53 -0600 (MDT)

  Hello there wonderful biop. community.
  I've been using the search_for function from the GenBank module.  I've noticed
that by selecting the "limits" option during a manual Entrez search I can set
dates such that the query only looks at a subset of the GenBank data.  I know
very little (read nothing) about CGI and I was wandering if biopython had any
functionality that could be used with search_for to also set the various options
at the "limited to" address:

  (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Limits&DB=nucleotide)

  Also, while I have your attention, (and this question might be more properly
addressed to NCBI) are there any biop. utilities that would allow me to grab, or
at least locate Fasta records at NCBI by their gi numbers?
  I suppose it might be relevant to mention that the reason I am interested is
because I'm building a local database of 16s nt sequences, and I'm trying to
figure out the best way to automatically update it.
  Thanks for hearing me out!!
--Josh Wilcox

"First, forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
 Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass.
 These, as successive generations bloom
 New powers acquire and larger limbs assume."
--Erasmus Darwin (Chuck's Grandpa)