[BioPython] Using Bio.Graphics: any example?

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:50:30 -0400

Hi Catherine;

> (not for drawing the snake :-)

:-)

> Is there any example of use for the Bio.Graphics package?

Uh yeah. Unfortunately this is some more stuff that I wrote without
getting the docs done. Gee, I feel like I'm looking pretty bad!

> I have seen an output example (http://www.bioinformatics.org/bradstuff/lab/cotton_locations-all.pdf), but not the code for it.

Well... the code for this is probably not really helpful since it's all
intertwined with code specific for my project, but there is a ton of
test code which is probably more useful to learn from. In the test
directory there are three tests that produce output in the
Tests/Graphics directory:

test_GraphicsChromosome.py --> Draws the "fancy" chromosomes
(organism.pdf, random_organism.pdf)
test_GraphicsDistribution.py --> Draws bar chart sorta things
(simple_bar.pdf and multi_bar.pdf)
test_GraphicsGeneral.py --> Draws comparative scatter plots; sorta
useful if you want to do things like make dot plots.
(scatter_test.pdf)

These might be easier to look at since they use canned (or randomly
generated) data.

I hope this helps some. I apologize again about the lack of written docs
and am happy to answer specific questions about the modules.

Brad
--
PGP public key available from http://pgp.mit.edu/