[BioPython] Installation problem

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:49:16 -0500

Hi Alvaro;

> I couldn't find an installer .exe file for Python 2.2 in
>
> 	http://www.biopython.org/Download/

Yup, Python 2.2 was officially released after the last release came out
and I've been too slacking to make a new installer.

> I tried using the one for 2.1, i.e.:
>
> 	biopython-1.00a4.win32-py2.1.exe
>
> but it halted (I guess because the registry information about which version
> of Python is installed is different from what it expected, moreover the
> input fields it has for this eventuality did not accept my typing anything
> into them).

With python, compiled code will only work with the version it was
compiled for. So even if you could somehow trick the installer into
working for 2.2, things wouldn't be too happy afterwards.

> I'm new to both Python and bioPython. I wonder whether there exists an
> installer, (something like biopython-1.00a4.win32-py2.2.exe)

Well, there wasn't one, but I just made one :-). You can download it from
the biopython Download page. Let me know if there are any problems!

Brad