[BioPython] Plotting with Python

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:12:01 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Michiel de Hoon wrote:

> I have been using python with C extension modules to do numerical
> analysis of gene expression data (cDNA microarray). While python is
> excellent for doing numerical analysis, the problem is that there does
> not seem to be a good package for creating plots with Python, except for
> Gist, which uses X Windows and does not run under Windows. The other
> packages that I have found on the web do not support interactive work
> (that is, as soon as a graphics window is opened, the python prompt is
> not available until the window is closed). Commercial codes such as
> matlab support such interactive work, and it would be nice if Python
> could do the same. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use for
> scientific plotting with Python?
> Thanks -- Michiel.

Have you had a chance to look at SciPy yet?

    http://www.scipy.org

It looks like they have a nice graphing module that you can use:

    http://www.scipy.org/site_content/tutorials/plot_tutorial

scipy's graphing module uses gnuplot underneath, and is portable on both
Windows and X Windows.

Good luck to you!