[BioPython] Any programming project?

Iddo Friedberg idoerg@cc.huji.ac.il
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:29:16 +0300 (GMT+0300)

Hi William,

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, William Park wrote:

: On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:20:36PM +0300, Iddo Friedberg wrote:
: > On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, William Park wrote:
: > > 1. Does anyone have any tasks or projects that I can tackle on
: > > volunteer : basis?I need more "experience" in this Bioinformatics
: > > area. :-)
: >
: > Try looking at bioinformatics.org, which hosts open source
: > bioinformatics projects.
:
: I am aware of <bio*.org>.It's just that one has to understand the

The bio*.org projects are tangentially related to the site
bioinformatics.org. bio* projects aim at providing language infrastructure
tools (classes, modules, etc.), whereas bioinformatics.org hosts
open-source applications, not necessarily written in one of the bio*
tools.

Are you aware of EMBOSS? An open-source suite of bioinformaics
applications. Check out emboss.org, maybe what you'll find something
interesting there. Although there is a bit of a learning curve in writing
actual EMBOSS applications, you might just get ideas from looking at what
current applications there do.

:
: PS.I got your email privately, but your email doesn't show up on
: Biopython mailing list.Did you also CC'ed to the mailing list?

No, I did not. It's a bit off-topic (my answer, not your question), so I
decided to keep this private. You can post to  Bio BB (on
bioinformatics.org), which is more suitable.

Cheers,

Iddo

--

Iddo Friedberg                                  | Tel: +972-2-6757374
Dept. of Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology   | Fax: +972-2-6757308