[BioPython] Windows Install Question

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:42:27 -0700

Hello Andreas,

I've not used Biopython on windows before, but it looks like it's
expecting a compiler called "cl.exe" and not finding it.  Do you have
a compiler installed and know how to specify that for Distutils?

Otherwise, as a quick hack, you can get the package working by
commenting out all the extension (C) code.  Go into "setup.py", at
the end of the script is a list of all the extension modules.
Comment out the ext_modules variable.  Don't worry, there's python
equivalents of all those modules, so everything will still work, but
slower.

Jeff