[BioPython] retrieving mRNA using protein sequence

KELLEY SCOTT T kelleys@ucsu.colorado.edu
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:41:06 -0600 (MDT)

I was wondering if anyone out there might have some advice on how I might
best go about retrieving DNA sequence using the translated protein. For
example, I have the following protein and I want to go back to the genbank
file, or fasta file or whatever, and retrieve the mRNA sequence:

>D_me1
mataeaqigvnrnlqkqdlsnldvskltplspevisrqatinigtighvahgkstvvkai
sgvqtvrfknelernitiklerlsekkiknlltskqqrqqyeikqrsmlrhlaelrrhsr
frrlctkpasssmpastssvdrrttrrstsqtslspsnssgygsvfgceehdvdkipsln
gfaklkrrrsscvgaptpnskrsknnmgviakrppkgeyvveriecvemdqyqpvffvkw
lgyhdsentweslanvadcaemekfverhqqlyeiyiakittelekqlealplmenitva
evdayeplnlqidlillaqyraagsrsqrepqkigeralksmqikraqfvrrkqladlal
fekrmnhvekpsppirvennidldtidsnfmyihdniigkdvpkpeagivgckctedtee
ctastkccarfagelfayerstrrlrlrpgsaiyecnsrcscdsscsnrlvqhgrqvplv
lfktangsgwgvraatalrkgefvceyigeiitsdeanergkayddngrtylfdldynta
qdseytidaanygnishfinhscdpnlavfpcwiehlnvalphlvfftlrpikageelsf
dyiradnedvpyenlstavrvecrcgadncrkvlf

I can think of a number of possible ways I might do this, but they all
seem to clumsy and inefficient. If I had the gene name it would probably
be really easy, but in some cases I do not unfortunately. Has anyone out
there tried to do something along this vein or have some tips they can
pass along?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. -Scott

P.S. BTW, Biopython is very cool - The documentation is some of the best I
have read for free software. I have used biopythong very effectively to
look for intron and exon sequences. Excellent work!

Scott T. Kelley, Ph.D.			E-mail: Scott.Kelley@Colorado.edu
Dept. MCD Biology			Phone : 303-735-1808
Campus Box 347				Fax   : 303-492-7744
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO  80309-0347
U.S.A.