[BioPython] versioning, distribution and webdav

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 15 May 2001 10:46:47 +0100 (BST)

Andrew

Lots of us have been thinking about lots of ways of solving this.

CORBA works for a "leave everything on the server, only pick up what you
want" fine.

I wrote a CORBA caching scheme around BioCorba and Bioperl-db, which means
for each sequence you bring it local only once.

However CORBA *will not scale* for shipping EMBL/Swissprot around in a
nice "only send updates" mode.

Options -

	FreeNet stuff (I'm looking at this as is lincoln stein)

	LDAP (lincoln looked at it and rejected it)

I am sure thomas down has his own ideas about this. He generally does ;)

I'd love to know more about WebDAV - is there a spec/good starting page
somewhere?

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.